Fixative volumes RE: [Histonet] tissue processing

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed Apr 25 13:04:52 CDT 2007

We have always opt for the 20:1 volume of fixative for research
purposes.  Fixative is cheap so we like the "rule" that more is
better.   In the past, the "plunk and dunk fixation syndrome" was alive and
well here.  The worst example was a whole (unsliced) femoral head sitting
in 100 mls for over a month (not in this lab), sent to us, and when
bisected, it was still bloody.  Needless to say, the fixation was horrible.

We encourage submission to this core histology lab as soon as possible,
prefering the next day, and IF the tissue is put into less than a 10:1
ratio, it is changed to fresh fixative to replenish the active fixing
ingredient.  Too little fixative happens way too often especially when the
people who initiate the tissue fixation do NOT and sometimes never seem to
understand the concept of good fixation, or don't want to bother.

  If immunostaining is required, time constraints for optimal fixation are
explained but that doesn't always work either. Fortunately, most
researchers here do their own immunostaining, so they have to deal with
their fixation problems.

Gayle Callis HTL, HT, MT(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology