[Histonet] RE: An histology puzzle? - Thanks!

Ian Montgomery ian.montgomery <@t> bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 10:39:15 CDT 2007

Sonya,
            Like Barry, I do a similar thing but use fruit. Take a banana,
cut it in various ways then let the students see the numerous views of the
orientation beside the one they usually see. An orange is also good, plus it
lets you feed the eager students and have a wee nibble yourself.
Ian.

Dr. Ian Montgomery,
Histotechnology,
IBLS Support Services,
Thomson Building,
University of Glasgow,
Tel:01413398855
Extn: 8511.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Rittman, Barry R" <Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 4:05 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: An histology puzzle? - Thanks!

Sonya
A lot of individuals have a problem with extrapolating 2 dimensional
images to 3 dimensions.
We always give demonstrations to our students of what images you can see
if you take a tube with a side branch or a division into two tubes and
section it from various angles. You get a lot of interesting images and
with oblique cuts of vessels a false impression of the thickness of the
wall.
Histology texts such as Gartner and Hiatt also have nice diagrams in the
introductory chapter.
Barry