[Histonet] overstained Fontana-Masson

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 24 15:42:25 CDT 2007

Below is from a 2002 Histonet response from Robert Lott about removing
silver from an overstained GMS, that I saved in my "good to know in case I
need it" file.

- - - -

Below is a treatment that really works, but it is best to go really slow and
check microscopically over and over until the desired result is obtained.

1.  De-coverslip sections and run then back to distilled water.
2.  Place section(s) in coplin jar containing 1 part of 1% potassium
"ferri"cyanide to 3 parts distilled water (0.25% potassium
     ferricyanide)
3.  Monitor continuously with the microscope until excess silver has been
removed.
4.  Wash well in distilled water.
5.  Re-counterstain as dersired.

- - - -

Note from me: Make certain it is potassium ferrIcyanide (red crystals, such
as used in the Schmorl stain), NOT potassium ferrOcyanide (yellow flakes,
used in the Prussian blue iron stain).

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073