[Histonet] CD3 clean with RB monos

Marvin Hanna mhanna <@t> histosearch.com
Tue Apr 24 01:32:08 CDT 2007

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the additional input. I stand corrected. Herceptin is a
HUMANIZED mouse monoclonal antibody.  From Dr. Kimball's online
Biology textbook, "The [Humanized] antibody combines only the amino
acids responsible for making the antigen binding site (the
hypervariable regions) of a mouse (or rat) antibody with the rest of
a human antibody molecule thus replacing its own hypervariable
regions." This helps reduce the problem of HAMA (human anti-mouse
antibodies), which can cause damage to the kidneys and cause the
therapeutic antibodies to be quickly eliminated from the human patient.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/M/
Monoclonals.html

I will also qualify my statement, "with up to a 10 times greater
affinity" with "according to a number of IHC vendors of rabbit
monoclonal antibodies". I have found at least 4 making claims of
higher affinity. The Epitomics website claims that mouse monoclonals
have affinities of "Nanomolar (~10-9 KD M)" and rabbit monoclonals
have affinities of "Picomolar (10-12 KD M) possible", a thousand fold
potential increase. I did not know that there are researchers who
disagree with these statements  and appreciate you pointing it out. I
agree additional research should be done.

http://www.epitomics.com/technology/tech.html

According to a news release on the Epitomics website, they are
providing humanized antibodies for therapeutic research. It is early
to speculate that (possible) higher affinities of humanized rabbit
monoclonals will provide a better therapeutic response in patients
compared to humanized mouse monoclonals and will require many years
of research and clinical trials to determine.

I also agree I have used rabbit monoclonal antibodies in IHC that
have not given better results, and sometimes worse results, than
their mouse monoclonal counterparts.

Best Regards,

Marvin Hanna
mhanna <@t> histosearch.com