[Histonet] Old paraffin sections

Till, Renee TillRenee <@t> uams.edu
Tue Apr 17 07:31:10 CDT 2007

What is your opinion of the effectiveness of IHC on paraffin sections that
have not been recently cut?

I have been trying to do a PCNA on some liver paraffin sections. I was given
the paraffin blocks, but also some slides boxes of previously cut slides from
1 to 2 years old. Do you think this could greatly effect the staining of the
slides? I don't normally do too much liver staining, so I had begun adapting
my mammary gland PCNA protocol to the livers, when I was given a protocol
this group had previously used in several of their papers. When I try to
duplicate this protocol, I get faint staining to negative slides. I have
tried everything I can think of. Remaking solutions, using a newer secondary
in case the other had been frozen too long (though I've never had a problem
with that before), leaving the DAB on longer, anything that still is within
the protocol. The only thing left I can think of is the age of the sections.
The only other thing I can think of is that my secondary is from a different
company than theirs, and I can't do anything about that short of ordering the
other and waiting for it. I generally order my secondaries from Jackson and
have never had any problems with them.

Renee' Till, HT

Research Assistant

Arkansas Children's Nutrition Center

1212 Marshall St./N2021

Little Rock, AR 72202

Lab (501)364-8504

Office Fax (501)364-3161

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.