[Histonet] WBC counts

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Sep 26 15:22:11 CDT 2006

We purchase hemocytometers from Fisher  (Healthcare catalog) or VWR.  We
still use them for lung lavage/washings from mice.  AND we do cell count
aka differentials on Diff Quik (if you can get it without difficulty)
stained murine lung lavage/cytospins.  If you have to do a differential on
animal blood smears, buffy coats, Wright Giemsa stain is superb for this
purpose, Harleco brand.

For a WBC count, contact a clinical laboratory to run the WBC counts on
their automated counters, much more accurate and worth the cost.  It was
painful to work with the RBC and WBC pipettes - HOORAY for modern
technology and instrumentation.

At 01:38 PM 9/26/2006, you wrote:
>Good luck finding a hemacytometer and/or any calibrated pipettes.  Ours
>ended up in the display of "antique instruments and equipment".  That's
>the best place for them (speaking as an old dinosaur who actually
>learned how to use them).

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor