[Histonet] coverslipping

rdavis4 <@t> rdg.boehringer-ingelheim.com rdavis4 <@t> rdg.boehringer-ingelheim.com
Tue Sep 26 15:17:12 CDT 2006

John,

There are many ways to hand coverslip; there is no wrong way, as long as it
turns out well.  I use Cytoseal-XYL from Richard Allan for hand
coverslipping.  It is xylene based.  It comes in a plastic bottle and you can
dispense it directly from the bottle to the coverslip.

I choose the correct size slip for the tissue sample, and apply the medium to
the slip.  (you can also use the one size fits all slips)  Then, I place the
slide perpendicular to the slip and close it face down.  Be sure to have the
medium run from one side of the slip to the other, or you will increase your
chances of air bubbles.  Too much is better than not enough, and with only a
few tries you will know how much is enough.  Use a Kimwipe to wipe away
excess xylene or medium from the back of the slide and place it on a flat to
dry.

The slides need to stay in xylene until JUST before applying the coverslip.

Hope this helps.

Rebecca A. Davis, A.A.S., NYS LVT, HT (ASCP)
Toxicology, Histopathology Lab
Boehringer-Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
rdavis4 <@t> rdg.boehringer-ingelheim.com
203-798-5448