[Histonet] Billing question

Zajic Kari Kari.Zajic <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Thu Sep 7 08:31:42 CDT 2006

99% of the time our biopsies are ordered with R/O H.Pylori from the GI doc in which we prove or disprove with the Giemsa stain.
I don't know, not my call but I'd sure want one and would pay for one if I was having a stomach biopsy!
I guess it's facility-wide call...it happens to be a policy here put in place by the Medical Director and he's very "old-school", we even keep old handwritten log books here since the inception of the hospital....lucky me. hahaha

Kari Marie Zajic HTL,MLT
Histology Supervisor
Palms West Hospital
Pathology Department
13001 State Road Eighty
Loxahatchee, Florida 33470
phone:      (561)798-6036
telefax:     (561)753-4298
voicemail: (561)753-4299
pager:       (561)610-4949
email: Kari.Zajic <@t> HCAHealthcare.com

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or CONFIDENTIAL
information and may be read or used only by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of the email or any of its attachment, please be advised that you have received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, printing, or copying of this email or any attached files is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately purge it and all attachments and notify the sender by reply email or contact the sender at the number listed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Cartun [mailto:Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:14 AM
To: Zajic Kari; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Brandi Farris
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Billing question

That's not the point.  The real question is, "Why are you doing it if
it's not medically necessary?".

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Immunopathology & Histology
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax

>>> "Zajic Kari" <Kari.Zajic <@t> HCAhealthcare.com> 09/07/06 8:29 AM >>>
We also bill for a Giemsa on all stomach specimens...if it's being
performed, read and diagnosed out, why wouldn't you be able to charge
for the work? Did he give you a reason? That's like saying oh, you can't
charge for services done...