[Histonet] Billing question

Richard Cartun Rcartun <@t> harthosp.org
Thu Sep 7 06:59:01 CDT 2006

I agree with your consultant.  Please refer to an article by Wright and
Kelly titled "The use of routine special stains for upper
gastrointestinal biopsies" that appeared in the March issue of Am J Surg
Pathol, Vol. 30, Number 3, pages 357-361.  The authors concluded "that
routine special stains for all gastric and/or esophageal biopsies are
NOT required, and H&E assessment combined with selective ordering of
special stains will identify virtually all cases of H. pylori gastritis
and intestinal metaplasia".

Richard

Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
Director, Immunopathology & Histology
Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
Hartford Hospital
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT  06102
(860) 545-1596
(860) 545-0174 Fax

>>> "Brandi Farris" <Brandiwork <@t> mchsi.com> 09/06/06 9:13 PM >>>
Hello,

Our hospital recently had an insurance/billing consultant give us some
advice. We currently perform and bill for a giemsa stain (special stain
group I) on all stomach and esophagus biopsy specimens. The consultant
told us that we could no longer bill for those. What stain is everyone
else doing and how are you billing it?

Thanks
Brandi Farris