[Histonet] marker for brain inflammation

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Tue Oct 31 11:00:26 CST 2006

Hi Caroline:

    Hmmm. Sticking a needle into the brain will cause some disruption,
bleeding and a normal response to the injury, ie. inflamation. Native
microglia will be activated and macrophages and other WBC will enter the
wound site via ruptured blood vessels. Both native microglia and
arriving macrophages will be positive for F4/80. There will also be an
astrocyte reaction, almost certainly visible with GFAP. I suggest a
second injection into the same region on the opposite side of the
brain.  Use the vehicle without the virus as a control to see how much
inflamation you get on one side versus the other. You do need a control
and this seems like a logical one to me. A lot has been written on
injecting various tracers into the brain and I suspect someone has dealt
with this issue, but in the 1970's. Get a copy of "Neuroanatomical tract
tracing methods" by Heimer and Robards out of the library or try J.
Neurosci. Methods 103:1, 2000 and see what has been done.

Geoff

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.