[Histonet] Serum Fiber in Blood

Paul Bradbury histology.bc <@t> shaw.ca
Tue Oct 31 10:38:59 CST 2006

Henry, Charlene wrote:

>Our mouse pathologist has previously ordered the PTAH stain for blood
>serum fiber in mouse tissues; however we plan to retire this stain
>because of the mercury used in the stain. This is the last place in the
>lab that requires mercury. My question is: do any of you know of another
>special stain or antibody that will detect blood serum fiber in FFPE
>mouse tissue?
>Thanks,
>Charlene

By "blood serum fiber" I assume you are talking about fibrin, the
network of coagulation factors involved in clot formation and a variety
of inflammatory conditions. PTAH is one of the classical methods for
demonstrating fibrin. However, a much "prettier" method is the MSB stain
developed by Slidders and Lendrum.

MSB is a modified trichrome method that uses martius yellow, brilliant
crystal scarlet and methyl blue. Fibrin stains a distinct bright red,
red cells are yellow, collagen is blue, with blue grey nuclei. It is one
of the most aesthetically pleasing staining methods in use.

The original method recommended fixation in a mercury-contaning
fixative, as did many methods from years gone by. However, equally good
results can be obtained by treating formalin-fixed tissues with Boiun's
fixative for about an hour before staining. Just take the sections down
to water as usual, treat with Bouin's fixative at 56-60 degrees, wash
well in water to remove the picric acid coloration, and carry on with
the staining method.

There is a good method in StainsFile (courtesy of Bryan Llewellyn). See
link below
http://stainsfile.info/StainsFile/stain/fibrin/MSB-long.htm

Paul Bradbury, FIMLS, ART,
Kamloops, BC