[Histonet] sections curling

Tamara Franz-Odendaal Tamara.Franz-Odendaal <@t> msvu.ca
Wed Oct 25 12:41:48 CDT 2006

Kemlo

I section decalcified bone in paraffin routinely. I cut 3-8um depending
on the tissue. Curling and wrinkling may have to do with humidity in the
room, we find this often.  Also try putting your block in the freezer
overnight if you don't already. I do not use disposable blades.

Hope this helps

Tamara

Tamara Franz-Odendaal
Mount Saint Vincent University
Halifax, NS, Canada

Tamara Franz-Odendaal (PhD)
NSERC University Faculty Awardee
Biology Dept,

Mount Saint Vincent University
166 Bedford Highway
Halifax, NS,  B3M 2J6
Canada

Tel: 902 - 457 6140
Fax: 902 - 457 6455

>>> "Kemlo Rogerson" <Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk> 10/25/2006 4:45
AM >>>
Hello,

sorry for the simplistic question.  We are having a lot of problem
with
some sections curling and wrinkling.

this is decalcified bone in parafin.  We are using a sliding microtome
with disposable blades.

is it the blades?  This is my first use of disposables.

It seems like the answer is very simple, but I have drawn a blank.

Bet it's the processing, but it could be the angle of the blade.
Revisit
your processing schedule and try altering the angle of attack for your
blade (what is the correct name for that angle?).

Kemlo Rogerson

Pathology Manager

Ext  3311

DD   01934 647057

Mob 07749 754194

Pager 07659 597107

E-Mail: kemlo.rogerson <@t> nhs.net

Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years. We grow old by
deserting our ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up
enthusiasm wrinkles the soul. --Samuel Ullman

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the
intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance
on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation