[Histonet] Formalin storage

Wesley Simms, MD wsimms <@t> mcintoshclinic.com
Tue Oct 24 11:11:34 CDT 2006

At our hospital, placentas are floated in formalin in L&D.   Sometimes they
don't do a very good job of it, and just "anoint" them. I think it would be
a silly waste of personnel time, as well as creating the possiblity of
exposing staff, patients and visitors to potentially infectious material in
the event of a spill, to have every placenta delivered fresh to histology.
What's more hazardous, an occasional whiff of 10% NBF, or a hepatitis C
infected placenta spilled in the hallway?
Wesley W. Simms
----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom McNemar" <TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 10:13 AM
Subject: [Histonet] Formalin storage

I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the keeping of formalin in the surgery
and L&D areas.  The hospital just had a JCAHO inspection and the inspectors
didn't like it very much.  They suggested that the 5 gallon carboys should
be stored in hoods or removed from the areas.  They went on to say that all
specimens should be taken to Histology as fresh specimens and that the
Histology personnel should be the ones putting formalin on the specimens.
The inspectors said that that was how all of the larger hospitals did it but
no one that I have spoken to does it that way.

So my question....  Does anybody (or a significant number of you) do it this
way?

Personally, I can't see how this can be good for the specimens.  Specimens
would have to be delivered immediately and someone would have to be
available 24/7 to take care of them.  I just don't see how it can work.  I
would appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems