[Histonet] Flash Freezing Brain

acjanes <@t> bu.edu acjanes <@t> bu.edu
Mon Oct 23 13:00:04 CDT 2006

I have a question about flash freezing rodent brains, as sometimes I
see little holes destroying my tissue and I cannot determine the cause.

Normally I perfuse mice with 4% para, post fix for 1-4 hours with para
at room temp then put in 30% sucrose until the brain drops (At 4C).
After this I make an foil mold which I fill with OCT and put my brain
inside. I then slowly lower the foil/brain mold into a bath containing
isopentane and dry ice just until everything freezes. I then store the
tissue at -20 until ready to cut. Normally this works, but occasionally
I loose tissue to the holes. I am now going to be starting a project
using rats and I want to make sure all the tissue stays intact. Does
anyone have suggestions?

We need the tissue to run ICC for c-fos the brains will be cut at 40
microns using a cryostat.