[Histonet] Why ammonia water?

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Oct 11 07:39:04 CDT 2006

Paula:
  Ammonia water is an alkaline solution and, as all alcaline solutions (soap included), it has softening qualities (as when you feel your hands softer after washing your hands with soap).
  Since the solution can also "penetrate" and "soak" the processed tissue, it makes it softer and easier to section, specially decals.
  René J.

Paula Sicurello <psicurello <@t> mcvh-vcu.edu> wrote:

Hello Histonetters,

The question of the day, around here = anyway, What is the history of
using 3% ammonia water while sectioning para= ffin?

We use= it for small biopsies and skins but we don't know why and who
established = that protocol anyway.

So if anybody out there knows why, please let me know.

Paula :-)

NOTE: The information contained in = this message may be privileged
and confidential and protected from disclosu= re. If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient, you are h= ereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this comm unication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication = in error, please notify us immediately by replying to
the message and delet= ing it from your computer.