[Histonet] Histotechs: how many are we nationwide?

Vinnie Della Speranza dellav <@t> musc.edu
Fri Oct 6 09:27:50 CDT 2006

Rene,
I'm trying to avoid the thread because my employer is expecting me to work and this thread will likely include a lively dialogue that may go on for some time, in part because your original question is provocative in that realistically there isn't a way to come up with anything more accurate than a guess. I've already found about fifteen messages in my inbox on this topic alone this morning.

I will ask you one provocative question. are you including Mohs techs in the number you are seeking? I know Mohs techs who call themselves HT's yet their knowledge of histology is limited to cryosections of skin with H&E's. They cut beautiful sections but anything beyond skin or H&E is foreign to them. If you include them you now have countless physician practices across the country employing one or more in this capacity, most of whom are not HT certified.

Vinnie

>>> Rene J Buesa <rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com> 10/06/06 09:16AM >>>
Vinnie:
  I don't see why you are desperately trying to avoid this thread (I do not call it a discussion) if you have any solid numbers like the one on 20,000 registered HTs.
  It is just a simple question not about how many certified histotechs there are, but rather how many persons do the daily job of preparing slides and doing procedures that allow the diagnosis for the pathologists.
  Are we 49,000?; less?; more?
  You know this is something I have been pondering for quite some time now, as I once wrote you. And they are your potential constituency as president of the NSH!
  René J.

Vinnie Della Speranza <dellav <@t> MUSC.EDU> wrote:
  I'm trying desperately to stay out of this discussion but I can help with the number you've requested. the NSH is making plans to celebrate the 20,000th HT(ASCP) which is expected to occur this Fall. I don't have #s of HTLs but it is of course much smaller.
Vinnie

>>> "Douglas D Deltour" 10/05/06 05:18PM >>>
If that is the case then we should be able to get somewhat of an accurate
number from ASCP. I would assume???

Douglas D. Deltour HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Professional Pathology Services, PC
One Science Court
Suite 200
Columbia, SC 29203
(803)252-1913
Fax (803)254-3262

PROFESSIONAL PATHOLOGY SERVICES, PC
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify me immediately.