[Histonet] Seattle Histo Tech Opening

Elaine Tanji tanjie <@t> u.washington.edu
Wed Oct 4 15:01:53 CDT 2006

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to update you that we still have an opening for a Histo
Tech. Our HR department has been having some problems with their website
and job posting so I have pasted the job description below. Please feel
free to call or email me for details on this position. Thank you.
Elaine

--

Elaine Tanji
Anatomic Pathology Laboratory Supervisor

tanjie <@t> u.washington.edu

Join our award-winning team at University of Washington Medical Center
(UWMC). Ranked among the nation’s top ten hospitals by US News and World
Report (2005), UWMC prides itself on compassionate patient care as well
as its pioneering medical advances. UWMC is operated by the University
of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of
Medicine. The University of Washington is proud to be one of the
nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are
the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in
education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys
outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an
environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual
excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.

General Duties:

The Anatomic Pathology department has an outstanding opportunity for a
*Anatomic Pathology Technician.* The person in this role will be
responsible for the following duties and tasks:

Perform preparation of tissue for microscopic analysis
* Receive and accession specimens, verifying that patient data is
accurate
* Can use computer to accession specimens
* Knowledge of tissue fixation, dehydration, clearing, etc.
* Prepare specimens by frozen section using a cryostat
* Embed and orient tissue correctly in paraffin or OCT media
* Cut thin sections of paraffin-embedded specimens using a rotary
microtome
* Coverslip microscopic slides with no air bubbles; label slides
* Examine samples of stained slides with microscope to ascertain that
results are satisfactory

Perform histochemical procedures for identification of various tissue
elements
* Cut section of tissue to correct thickness to identify tissue
element being stained
* Perform staining procedures to identify fungus, fat, fibers,
bacteria, by established methods
* Prepare solutions and reagents in accordance with standard procedure
* Ability to use pH meter, microwave, balance
* Develop new staining procedures when necessary
* Examine control slides of special stains to ascertain that results
are satisfactory

General knowledge of HISTOLOGY equipment
* Perform routine maintenance of microtome and frozen section cryostat
* Perform the daily maintenance of the automatic tissue processor
and staining machines
* Keep embedding centers cleaned and maintained
* Properly load and unload cameras in the Gross Room
* Record temperatures of instrumentation