[Histonet] Re: Superfrost slides-Histonet question

Stephen Peters M.D. petepath <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 11:44:10 CDT 2006

Tom,

  You bring up manual dexterity and the importance of this in the frozen section process. I have played classsical guitar for over 40 years. The brush technique I describe on my web site is in many ways modeled after concepts I have taken from guitar technique, i.e. conservation of motion, maximizing our control through stability if the hand  and proper ergonomic positioning of our hands and body to maximize our  fine motor  ability. Even passing the technique to students by holding their limp hands and moving the brush and wheel together so that they develop muscle memory for this technically challenging task came out of my music training. The goal of continous motion cutting  is a skill which can be easily developed by anyone. Like a musical instrument, it comes with dicipline, practice and attention to technique.

  Steve

Stephen Peters M.D.
Vice Chairman of Pathology
Hackensack University Medical Center