[Histonet] pure ethanol switch to reagent grade 100%

Kevin Gibbon kgibbon <@t> qltinc.com
Wed Oct 4 09:30:47 CDT 2006

Hi Heather,
I have always used reagent grade alcohols for dehydration and staining. The one I use at the moment is 85% ethanol and 15% other mixed alcohols.

Kevin

Kevin Gibbon
Manager, Histology
QLT Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Heather Renko
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 6:54 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] pure ethanol switch to reagent grade 100%

Histonetters,

  I hope to get input from our vast group here on switching from pure ethanol/200 proof to 100% reagent grade alcohol.  The reagent grade is by RA, 90% ethyl, 5.5% methyl, and 4.5% isopropyl.  My main concern was for the dehydration properties of the reagent grade to the pure but, I feel confident that there will not be any real problems with our processing or the staining. I would welcome any feedback to your switch over experiences. Lastly, we do not use this alcohol to make any reagents, just in its original state.

  Heather