Buffers for RE: [Histonet] Using lectin BS-1 for staining endothelial cells

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Oct 3 16:45:35 CDT 2006

Ray is correct on the problem of using PBS with lectins. After much
discussion with Vector's Craig Pow (Technical service representative), he
indicated not ALL lectins are affected by PBS. We have had successful
staining with UEA1 and PNA using Dulbeccos PBS.  More recently, we use TRIS
buffer exclusively for all lectin staining.   There is also  "Lectin
Buffer" that is TRIS based on the chance you do not have HEPES buffer.  See
recipe below:

TRIS base               60.57 g
sodium chloride        87 g
Magnesium chloride   2.03g
calcium chloride         1.11g
Dissolve in  800 mls distilled water.  Adjust pH to 7.6 with concentrated
HCl, then bring to final volume of 1 liter.  This is a 10X solution, can be
stored in the refrigerator, and diluted 1:10 when needed.  Or you can bring
this 0ne liter of 10X to a final volume of 10 liter using distilled water.

What you have is a popular immunostaining buffer,  0.05M TBS buffer but
with the Mg and Ca added.

The lectin buffer comes from an inexpensive, excellent book titled Lectin
Histochemistry, a concise practical handbook  Brooks SA, Leathem AJC,
Schumacher U.  ISBN# 1859961002 .

Gayle Callis HTL, HT, MT(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology