[Histonet] Re: Superfrost slides-Histonet question

Jan.Minshew <@t> leica-microsystems.com Jan.Minshew <@t> leica-microsystems.com
Mon Oct 2 18:40:42 CDT 2006

Hello Ion,

I see that Gayle Callis supplied you with my name and Mari Ann Mailhiot's
as contacts at Leica who could assist you with your frozen section
application questions.  I just want to let you know that we will be happy
to help in any way possible.  Mari Ann is part of our Technical Assistance
Center at Leica and spends a great deal of her time helping customers
customize their applications and improve their results.  Although your
application of sectioning embryonic Sea Lamprey is rather unique, I'm
certain that our (way too many) years of histology lab experience will be
of some use in determining a solution to your problem.

If you have any other questions or need additional help in the future, my
signature provides the necessary information for you to contact the US
division of Leica Microsystems.

Best wishes,

Jan Minshew, HT(ASCP)HTL
Marketing Manager
Leica Microsystems, Inc.
2345 Waukegan Road
Bannockburn, IL 60015
800.248.0123

             I.B.
             <beldorth.msu+his
             t <@t> gmail.com>                                               To
             Sent by:                  histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
             histonet-bounces@                                          cc
             lists.utsouthwest
             ern.edu                                               Subject
                                       [Histonet] Re: Superfrost
                                       slides-Histonet question
             10/02/2006 02:03
             PM

Sarah,

Our cryostat is a Leica 1850.  Cryosectioning has, unfortunately, been an
area of contention between myself and the person who trained me;
specifically the blade angle.  My trainer insists that the angle should
never been changed, mostly because it has produced good results for her.
However, the tissue I am sectioning is quite different and that angle
(negative two, oddly enough) produces sections that curl into a tight tube
and are therefore quite useless.  By playing with the angle I have found
that 3-4 degrees produces uncurled sections (more or less, they are often
still 'springy' ) that I can actually use and, for a while, everything
worked fine.  I realize this compresses the tissue more, but can it affect
adhesion as well?  I would like to think that my cryosectioning technique
is
good, but I am of course rather biased and am always open to new and better
ways.  The Leica user manual is more of an Installation manual, and
requests
for clarification from there website on several issues has gone unanswered.
Can you suggest a good source for cryosection technique and other
information?
Beyond that, I will try the paintbrush technique.  I always avoid touching
the tissue directly out of concern for damaging it, but at this point it
can
not hurt.
There seems to be much praise for gelatin-subbing.  A fellow histonetter
sent me a protocol earlier, but if you can send me your favorite protocol
for comparison that would be great.

Ion

p.s.  Thanks to everyone who has answered so far.  Sorry I replied to
everyone backchannel, I did not realize that Gmail was sending my messages
to private addresses instead of the listserv.  Opps.