[Histonet] Primate Muscle Processing

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Wed May 31 14:30:27 CDT 2006

Steven,

Remember these are protocols that work for the people who wrote up the
protocol and useful as guidelines.

Formalin should work just fine,  but that schedule also had temperature
added to each processing station of alcohol and clearant - doing this only
dries out tissues more, especially very lean animal tissues.  There was no
mention of paraffin either, and what type you use may make some diffference
plus using 55C temperature is pretty low and your tissues are not
infiltrated very well.  58 to 60C should work well also.   Also the size of
your sample, thickness may vary a bit also.

You probably need to soak a trimmed block on ice water for a few minutes
before sectioning to restore some moisture back to tissue block.

At 12:25 PM 5/31/2006, you wrote:
>I'm looking for a good processing protocol for mainly primate muscle.  I
>have a copy of the NSH "Animal processing Manual" and use basicly the
>protocol #19 on page 11.
>   The tissue is fixed at least 48 hrs in NBF proir to processing on a
> VIP.   The sectioned tissue almost appears fragmented, not
> uniform.  Would a different fixative be advisable??
>
>   Thanks,
>
>   Steve

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)