[Histonet] Formalin on skin

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Wed May 24 14:20:29 CDT 2006

My understanding of formaldehyde exposure is that it is a lottery.
Each occasional short exposure has a small but real chance of creating
hypersensitivity, which will effectively exile one from the laboratory.
I protect myself (gloves always, fume hood when possible) primarily to avoid
the risk of having hypersensitivity end my career.
Occasional short exposures probably do not cause cancer.
Chronic exposure has a small but real chance of causing cancer.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gudrun Lang
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 1:32 PM
To: Histonetliste (Histonetliste)
Subject: [Histonet] Formalin on skin

Hi,
Today a labassistent asked me, what would happen to her skin, if formalin
swallowed over her arm.
I said, the formalin would harden the skin, but only on the surface. She
should wash the arm with plenty of water, and there will reamain no negative
reaction. It would not be dangerous for her health.

Do you agree with me? Is there a cancer-risk after short contact with
formalin?

Greetings
Gudrun Lang

Histolab