[Histonet] Re: Fixatives

Katri Tuomala katri <@t> cogeco.ca
Tue May 23 22:01:54 CDT 2006

I have always read with respect Dr. Richmond's opinions, but here I have to
disagree.

Surely the bottle, that the specimen comes in, is labelled with what ever
the fixative is, along with the pertinent patient information. It should be
just as simple to say " specimen received in formalin (Bouins, Zenkers
etc.)". There is no need and it is not advisable to smell it.

It is an interesting mindset among many, not all, pathologist to insist in
processing all tissues the same day (TAT!) ending up with inadequately fixed
and consequently poorly processed tissue, which we technologist then have to
struggle to produce well stained, wrinkle free, representative sections. As
an immuno tech I can testify for even bigger problems in producing reliable
results with immunohistochemical procedures.

For purposes of immunostaining, it is important to know the time of fixation
in formalin, adequate or not (24 hours is considered adequate, not 4 or even
8), so that we know what we are faced with and sometimes method can be
adjusted to fit the fixation time. I would prefer doing immuno stains on a
specimen, that is "overfixed" in formalin rather than underfixed.

If I ever ended up with breast cancer, I would make sure, that at least one
tumor section got fixed 24 hours.

This is my Tuesday Rant!

Katri
Katri Tuomala