[Histonet] Formalin on skin

Chris Pomajzl cpomajzl <@t> cpllabs.com
Tue May 23 13:51:49 CDT 2006

I would imagine that if someone had open wounds or breaks in the skin, there
could be acute problems. But chronic long-term problems are unlikely with
such a brief incident.

People drink formaldehyde (or at least used to, wasn't it a preservative in
beer many years ago??), they smoke it (I've heard of people dipping joints
in formaldehyde for a stronger buzz, never tried it myself), and we breathe
it in the lab every day. I believe that the carcinogenic effects are due to
long-term exposure in laboratory animals. I am not aware of any studies
involving human subjects.

Hope this helps.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles.Embrey" <Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com>
To: <gu.lang <@t> gmx.at>; "Histonetliste (Histonetliste)"
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 12:56 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Formalin on skin

You are 100% correct.  I have even reached a bare hand into formalin to
pull out something before but washed with soap and water minutes after.
I have not personally heard of formalin causing an increased risk of
skin cancer however I am sure that there is a study somewhere that has
probably associated some risk with L---O---N---G term exposure. Your
labassistant should be perfectly safe.  Just don't drink it and keep it
out of the eyes :)

Charles Embrey Jr. PA(ASCP)
www.greyrealm.com