[Histonet] Processing protocol for VIP

Sanders, Julie, VHACIN Julie.Sanders <@t> va.gov
Tue May 23 07:17:35 CDT 2006

Hi netters,
I'm back with more questions about processing...We received our HQIP evaluation and everything was fine except for the breast and skin sections, both of which contained lots of soft tissue and fat.  The comments were about "muddy nuclear detail, and hematoxylin not crisp..."  Now the chief of my lab (a clinical pathologist) is up in arms suggesting that ALL of our work is sub-par.  I cannot convince him that this is a problem with the type of tissue and fixation.  So...with that said...anyone willing to share their processing protocols would be greatly appreciated.  We have two processors, one for biopsies only, which we do not have a problem with, and the other for large cases..colons, breast, etc., it is a 12 hour protocol.  I would be interested to see what everyone else is doing.  Oh, we use VIP processors.
Feel free to send to me personally if you wish, but I'm sure others on the net might be interested as well.
Thanks in advance!

Julie

Julie Sanders, BA, HT(ASCP)
Supervisor, Anatomic Pathology