[Histonet] Marking prostate biopsies

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Fri May 12 05:00:37 CDT 2006

I'd be wary of using mercurochrome to mark tissues. Mercurochrome a mercury
derivative, specifically dibromohydroxymercurifluoriscein disodium salt
(from mercuric acetate and dibromofluoresIcein). Molecular formula: C20 H8
Br2 Hg O6 Na2

The MSDS I've looked at are saying mercurochrome is 24-27% mercury. The
dangers listed are that it may be fatal if inhaled, absorbed through the
skin or swallowed. Danger of cumulative effects. The target organ is the
nervous system.

Yes, I know that cuts and scrapes were always treated with this in the past.
But remember that treating a scrape once every couple of months is different
than a tech/PA/etc. adding it to tissue every day, week after week, being
exposed to the liquid and the vapor for long term. Remember, the toxic
effects are cumulative.

Also, if your hospital/lab has signed the AHA/EPA waste/mercury reduction
agreement, this is one of the compounds that needs to be eliminated.

So my suggestion is to switch to one of the other methods being discussed by
the fine people of this group.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073