[Histonet] Filter papers

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Thu May 11 16:22:51 CDT 2006

Tracey,

For filtering such specimens I use Nitex mesh.  It's a nylon mesh (under the
microscope it looks just like window screen) which can be purchased in a
variety of pore sizes.  When filtering biopsy materials for histologic
processing I usually use a 50 micron mesh.  80 ml of liquid will run through
it in a few seconds, and all particles larger then 50 microns will be
retained.  Finer mesh sizes are available but you probably aren't likely to
be processing biopsies smaller then 50 microns.  It's more expensive than
filter paper but is worth it in time saved.