[Histonet] Cryopreservation dry ice vs LN2 isopentane

Jamie E Erickson jamie.erickson <@t> abbott.com
Thu May 11 10:03:24 CDT 2006

Hello histonetters,
                                      I am hoping that someone out there
can help me with a cryopreservation dilemma. I am in a research pathology
lab and we have two schools of cryopreservation here, some researchers use
dry ice isopentane and others use liquid nitrogen isopentane. I have heard
that LN2 is faster with less ice crystal  formation  and I think this is a
better way to freeze but I need to convince the dry ice people to use LN2.
Does anyone have papers that will support my fight for one standard way of
freezing. Any thoughts or help with literature would be great. We freezing
mouse and rat  tissues for IHC and LCM (laser capture microdissection ).

Thanks

Jamie Erickson
Sr. Research Associate
Department: DSMP