[Histonet] Subject: wheat germ agglutinin

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Mon May 8 15:04:28 CDT 2006

Serum albumin is a glycoprotein, so it doesn't
make good sense to include it in a solution of a
lectin. Go with Brooks, Leathen & Schumacher's
"Lectin Histochemistry", which is an authoritative
source and gives very detailed, easily followed
instructions. As you have noted, they recommend
(p.159) a TRIS buffer with a little Ca and Mg
chlorides added. (For some lectins it's Mn rather
than Mg.) The only thing that's likely to need
adjustment is the concentration of the labelled
lectin. When I worked with fluorescently labelled
lectins I preferred a rhodamine to a fluorescein
label because autofluorescence was less of an
annoyance. You can, however, suppress all
autofluorescence before staining. See Biotech.
Histochem. 77(4): 232 (2002).
--
John A. Kiernan