[Histonet] Microwave and DNA/Molecular

Mikael Niku mikael.niku <@t> helsinki.fi
Mon May 8 04:30:12 CDT 2006

Hello Douglas!

We are routinely using microwave heating to dramatically enhance in situ
hybridization to genomic DNA in paraffin-embedded sections of PFA-fixed
tissue material.
This is like a standard antigen retrieval treatment (15 minutes in a
boiling buffer solution, then 20 min slow cooling). The results are much
better than without microwave heating. Please note we still need to do a
separate denaturation step to facilitate hybridization, so it seems the
DNA is not at least permanently denatured.

I think we are also doing succesful PCR in situ hybridization in the
same way, although this method is not in my personal use.

So, at this scale there doesn't seem to be harm done. But I have never
isolated DNA from samples processed this way, and  I guess any other
kind of molecular testing would need to be tried and confirmed separately.

With best regards,
Mikael

--

  Mikael Niku             URL: www.helsinki.fi/~mniku/
  University of Helsinki  Dept. Basic Veterinary Sciences

  - Mitäkö mieltä olen länsimaisesta sivistyksestä?
  Minusta se olisi erinomainen ajatus!
                                          - Gandhi