FW: [Histonet] Technicians need to be certified

Charles.Embrey Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com
Thu May 4 14:53:18 CDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Charles.Embrey
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 2:32 PM
To: 'Galiotto, Laura'
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Technicians need to be certified

I am not quite sure that I understand your question.  Neither CAP nor
ASCP require a person to be certified to cut blocks and slides, do
stains or embed tissue.  On the other hand I don't think that you can
honestly refer to yourself as a Histology "Technician" unless you have
the certification to back it up and make it official.  The state of
Florida does require state licensure as an HT or HTL to do these things
but that is different from a national standard or licensure.

Charles Embrey Jr. PA(ASCP)
www.GreyRealm.com