[Histonet] Glycerol cryoprotected tissue and cryostat sectioning

Kathie A Berghorn kab35 <@t> cornell.edu
Wed May 3 10:10:18 CDT 2006

Dear Histo-netters,

I need your help.  We have precious tissue that
has been processed for beta-galactosidase.  This
was the first time we did this
immunohistochemistry.  The protocol said to clear
in glycerol which we did and the tissue is in 80%
glycerol.  I have spent the morning trying to cut
this tissue on a cryostat without success.  When
I put the mouse placenta in OCT using isopentane
and liquid nitrogen, the OCT freezes but the
tissue does not.  Cutting it on the cryostat is
then not possible.  When I used to do thick
sections we sunk tissue in sucrose and then froze
it with dry ice prior to cutting it on a freezing
sliding microtome.  Would the dry ice freeze the
placenta in the cryostat so I could cut it?  Any
other suggestions?  Of course I am on a grant
deadline and am stressing.

I would appreciate any suggestions that would
yield 8-10 µm sections so I can see if the beta
galactosidase worked in the area of the placenta
we study.

Thank you very much,
Kathie