air filling Re: [Histonet] Frozen embedding of lungs

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Thu Mar 30 16:51:19 CST 2006

More on snap freezing murine lungs. and long discussion.

Air filling a lung is not going to help with support during
cryomicrotomy.  The OCT must be in close contact with inner lung surfaces
i.e replace the air, to ensure lung cryosections correctly.  If not, air
filled or partially air filled lungs (normally what you end up after a
dissection and snap freezing,  and what Kim was experiencing) still
cryosections like a crumbling, overhanging sand dune.  Air filling is
really no different than taking a lung from an animal who has breathed and
although the lung is collapsed enough air remains to give the crumbling
section syndrome even after proper snap freezing.  We have experienced this
too many times until we performed OCT filling of the lung to replace the
air.   Lung morphology in our hands is intact and excellent.

Some individuals fill or perfuse a lung with formalin or paraformaldehyde.
Fixed lungs should be cryoprotected with 30% sucrose to replace the water
(in the fixative ) to prevent large water ice crystal formation.  Slow
freezing creates the same problem by large water ice crystal formation in
ANY fresh tissue.  Water seems to be the enemy here.

It is very important to snap freeze OCT filled then OCT surrounded/embedded
tissue with a proper snap freezing setup as John described and never use a
cryostat freezing apparatus that cannot achieve a cold enough
temperature.   We embed a whole lung in large plastic cryomolds, then snap
freeze in a dry ice/isopentane or hexane mixture  at approx -90C to have
complete snap freezing of OCT filled lung  in about 10 seconds or
so.  Liquid nitrogen cooled isopentane is just another method.  That rapid
freezing is critical for prevention of freezing artifact.

  One could choose to freeze the OCT filled lung without embedding, but
Dodds taught us to coat fresh bone with a water soluble 70,000 PVA before
immersing into a dry ice/hexane slurry. The MW weight of this PVA means the
PVA molecule is too large for proper infiltration into tissue
micro-spaces.  Our Center for Biofilm Engineering indicated the PVA should
be MW of 40,000 or less for infiltration purposes.

For the tissue coating method, we dilute OCT (since it already contains
PVA) with PBS (1:1) and dip the fresh tissue, OCT filled lung, or bone in
this mixture prior to snap freezing.  It could be assumed this thin OCT
layer protects the tissue during -80C storage and maybe from direct contact
with the hexane or isopentane although these may not affect the tissue in
any way.

OCT bottle has all ingredients stated clearly.  OCT contains 10.24% w/w
polyvinyl alcohol ,4.26% polyethylene glycol (the MW of PVA and PEG is not
given for proprietary reasons) and 85.50% non-reacative ingredients which
could be water.  Dr. McCormick developed OCT for Tissue Tek many years ago
and per private conversation he said could vary the ingredients for any
given cryotomy temperature desired - very clever!    The lung is NOT
cryoprotected with OCT as that is not the purpose of this embedding
media.  In order to cryoprotect, an ingredient i.e.30% sucrose, should
infiltrate into tissue micro-spaces to replace water. The MW of the PVA and
PEG in OCT may be too great to achieve proper infiltration into tiny tissue
spaces., hence the word 'surround'.   It has been observed that some say
they "infiltrate" with OCT by letting tissue sit overnight - and it may
actually be more the OCT oozes into the irregular tissue spaces unless the
space is big enough to let a large molecule in?   Some mix OCT with 20%
sucrose (1:1 mixture) and let this sit.  The sucrose is probably what
infiltrates the tissue spaces to replace water and NOT the PVA of PEG of
the OCT.

It would be an interesting experiment to take Thermo Electrons colored
cryoembedding media and see if there is any infiltration into the tissue
spaces - a line of green or blue in the tissue?

  The OCT bottle says this media is to "bind tissue to the specimen block
and to surround and cover the tissue specimen".  I interpret this as
meaning NOT an infiltration medium like hot paraffin,  but only as a means
of supporting (air really doesn't do this very well) by direct contact with
tissue surfaces for cryomicrotomy at optimal cutting temperature (we use it
in a temperature range from -15C to -35C.  If my thoughts are incorrect,
hopefully Dr. McCormick is looking in and will make further comments.

Gayle Callis HTL, HT, MT(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology
Montana State University