[Histonet] GMA & Humidity

Melanie Black ctsblack <@t> capeheart.uct.ac.za
Thu Mar 30 05:45:52 CST 2006

Dear All,
I would like to ask about a particular problem with eosin-Y staining. I am
using Eosin Y alcoholic without phloxine (from Sigma) and for some reason,
all of the eosin staining comes out of the tissue as it is being
dehydrated. I can actually see that it just drains out. I know that this is
part of the differentiation process but it just all comes out. We use the
same staining set for mouse liver tumour tissues with no problem. These are
routinely processed (by a hospital pathology lab) rat rectum slides.  Is
the phloxine important for "keeping in the stain"? The sections are quite
small. Should I be using a different eosin?
Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Cathy

Cathy

JB 4 resin is one of the few resins that is water soluble, and
complete dehydration of tissue is NOT required. In the processing of
this resin, clearing agents like xylene & chloroform are unnecessary.
I have used this resin many times, specially for tissue containing
gels etc.

Regards
Melanie.
--