[Histonet] CAP Guidelines for Microwaves

Phil McArdle pmcardle <@t> ebsciences.com
Fri Mar 24 07:22:10 CST 2006

Hi:

First of all, yes, I'm with a vendor who makes laboratory microwaves, so
you can decide how much of an axe I have to grind, or even if you want
to read this:

Energy Beam Sciences, a pioneer in the use of microwaves in histology,
has maintained for over a decade that consumer-grade microwaves have no
place in a laboratory setting. Admittedly, over the years some users
have managed to achieve varying levels of success in some
"non-tissue-processing" applications like staining. However, I'd argue
that a high number of failures due to this same approach has served to
regress the art via anecdotal microwave "horror stories." Now that
microwaves (both consumer-grade and true laboratory instrumentation) are
in routine and widespread use in the histology laboratory, it should be
unsurprising that CAP is taking this issue very seriously.

CAP is not alone; microwaves in histology have been receiving increased
interest from standards institutes such as CLSI (formerly NCCLS; see
their publication GP-28A), and significantly, governmental agencies.
Besides Europe's strict IVDD regulations, in the USA you have OSHA: see
29 CFR 1910.303(b)(2) which simply states that no food-grade microwave
should be used for anything other than its intended purpose.

 From a workplace safety standpoint, the fact that consumer microwaves
don't provide chamber fume extraction is extremely significant. Even
seemingly benign reagents, when heated by any means, can easily produce
high levels of vapor. Unimportant? Can't smell anything? Anyone who's
suffered through O-Chem knows you can't go by smell or immediate
symptoms, and it's commonly recognized that chronic exposure to
pollutants is to be avoided.

Consumer grade microwaves are prone to hot and cold spots within their
chambers. In the proper context, this doesn't really matter; we've all
had overcooked or undercooked meals (if we're unlucky, sometimes in the
same meal!), but we live with it. This illustrates a lack of consistency
or repeatability, the very factors that can prove problematic in a
laboratory setting, for obvious reasons.

In addition, generally speaking, consumer microwaves aren't designed or
built to take the day-in-and-day-out demands of the histology
laboratory, don't have calibrated output, and don't provide the means to
measure output power, for example. These are not deficiencies, given the
proper context: heating leftovers or reheating cold coffee at home...
what's the worst that can happen?

Now compare that with the worst that could happen with a biopsy.

There's also the question of liability exposure. If your laboratory were
party to any kind of lawsuit, whether as plaintiff or defendant, how
comfortable would you be if it came out that a consumer appliance was
being used, rather than appropriate laboratory instrumentation, even if
it had nothing to do with the issue at hand?

Now how does that $69 Wal-Mart microwave stack up?

Late in 2005, after a series of conversations and e-mails with CAP
representatives (and CLSI, whose publications CAP references), Energy
Beam Sciences developed some recommendations to help with these new
checklist items. An Acrobat file of said recommendations may be found on
our website at

http://www.ebsciences.com/pdf/EBS_CAP_RECOMMEND.pdf

Also, feel free to browse our "library" section for articles, papers and
protocols.

Seriously, while I'd love to sell you one of our microwaves, I'm
probably more interested in "advancing the art." And that means getting
consumer microwaves out, and true laboratory microwaves in, even if
they're not ours.

End of rant and shameless commerce!

Best regards,

Phil McArdle
Microwave Product Manager
Energy Beam Sciences, Inc.
Tel:  800.992.9037 x 341
Cell: 860.597.6796
Fax: 860.653.0422
PMcardle <@t> ebsciences.com
www.ebsciences.com
"ADDING BRILLIANCE TO YOUR VISION"

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." Ralph Waldo Emerson