[Histonet] Training med techs - some candid comments - PART II

Mike Kirby mike.kirby <@t> nhls.ac.za
Fri Mar 24 05:41:41 CST 2006

Honourable Histologists.

It is possible that I've misinterpreted Ms Orr's statements, and was overly sensitive, but for those who've been on the Net for some time will remember a similar fight about two years ago, when one of the subscribers brought up the same subject, and cast serious aspersions about us MT's and our alleged "inability" to be trained in Histopath techniques.

I have no less respect for you than any other of the disciplines in the Med Tech world. I just get annoyed when one discipline bad mouths another (Inadvertently it would appear in Ms Orr's case). Lets call it a draw and leave it there.

Oh, and Mr. Morken, for the record, I have cut frozen sections while the Path & surgeon were fulminating over my shoulder, and I might add, on one of those old fashioned sledge type microtomes that clamped on the bench or table and was attached to a cylinder of CO2 gas, which was used to freeze the specimen and chill the knife. It was an art, not a science, you had to ensure that the tissue was frozen enough to stick to the horizontal chuck, by blasting it with the gas, and that the knife was a few degrees warmer so you could cut a section. Try it sometime.

Mr.M.Kirby
Johannesburg
South Africa.

The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the author and not those of the National Health Laboratory Services or its management. The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended solely for the addressee.
Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity of information and data transmitted electronically and to preserve the confidentiality thereof, no liability or responsibility whatsoever is accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does not reach its intended destination.