[Histonet] Training Med Techs - some candid comments

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Wed Mar 22 09:51:41 CST 2006

The analogies in the UK are MLAs who had no career structure but it has
become apparent to me that they are a rich vein of BMSs (HistoTech). They
are intelligent and committed but for a variety of reasons never got a
degree. We now recognise them as Healthcare Scientist (which we all are in
the UK Labs, Physiotherapy, etc.,) and they can be trained to the post of
Healthcare Practitioner.

They can also take a Foundation Degree to become a qualified BMS and prove
to be committed Staff who rarely leaves. I think what needs to be done is to
eradicate the barriers between your Staff groups and through training and
education make it possible for one group to move to the next; the so called
'skills escalator'.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
Ext  3311
DD   01934 647057
Mob 07749 754194

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its
contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform
me that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your
co-operation