[Histonet] RE: Sudan Black Staining

Kellar, Eric C Eric.C.Kellar <@t> questdiagnostics.com
Fri Mar 17 09:24:16 CST 2006

To slow Sudan Black B (a nonionic, hydrophobic dye) 'bleeding' on unfixed cryostat sections, try running a duplicate slide and compare with this method:

1.	Air dry duplicate slide after staining.
2.	Clear slide through 3 changes of fresh Xylene or Xylene Substitute.
3.	Glass coverslip using a permanent mounting media.

The synthetic mountant will eventually dissolve some of the dye-lipid complex, but it will give you a longer window of time to microscopically examine your slides.

Eric C. Kellar
Histology/Immunohistochemistry
Quest Diagnostics Inc. Miami

Hi,
I am working on the Sudan Black stain.  Do the slides need to be read
immediately due to bleeding of the stain after approximately 24 hours?

Thanks for any information you can give me about the stain.
Sharon Willman

The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are intended only for the use of the person(s) to which they are addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Further, any medical information herein is confidential and protected by law. It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to use, review, copy, disclose, or disseminate confidential medical information. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately advise the sender and delete this message and any attachments. Any distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachment, is prohibited.