[Histonet] Training Med Techs

Orr, Rebecca ROrr <@t> enh.org
Fri Mar 17 09:04:02 CST 2006

Hello everyone.

I would appreciate any feedback from those of you who may have had to
train MT's (ASCP) to work in Histology.

They would be trained as histo techs with the intent to promote them
into  Anatomic Pathology (Histology) management positions.

Candid comments welcome, especially from MT's who now work in histology!

To me it would be like trying to train a policeman to be a fireman,
it's a career, not a job, right?

We see a HT shortage in the Chicago area, but I am unsure how to address
this.

Degreed individuals have proven critical thinking skills via a
traditional education pathway, so I see the advantages, but to ignore
very capable HT managers with proven management and organizational
skills via non traditional pathways  is becoming an issue with me.

I mean it's not like Non degreed HT's are stooopid or something.

Thank you

Becky

 Becky Orr CLA,HT(ASCP)

IHC Lead