[Histonet] (no subject)

Greer, Patricia pwg1 <@t> cdc.gov
Thu Mar 16 12:23:17 CST 2006

Joyce,

In order to get the iodine into solution, first dissolve the 2g
potassium iodide in  4-5 ml of water and dissolve the 1g of iodine in
this.  Dilute to 100 ml.
These instructions are not often printed with the formula for making
Gram's iodine and I remember how frustrating it was the first time I
tried to make it up.  Then I read the directions in Culling's "Handbook
of Histopathological and Histochemical Techniques"

Hope this helps.

Pat Greer
Infectious Disease Pathology Activity
Mail Stop G-32
Atlanta, GA 30333

404-639-2811

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of meint002
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:42 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] (no subject)

Dear Histos,

I am trying to make a Gram's Iodine solution (1g iodine, 2g potassium
iodide, 100ml distilled water to start)and I can't get the iodine to go
into solution.  If I use a stir bar the iodine is attracted to the
magnet and doesn't come off.  I've also tried heat and that doesn't seem
to work either.
 All the text books I've looked at say shake until dissolved.  Tried
that, the iodine just sits in the bottom of the beaker and nothing.

I don't remember having this problem before in school.  All suggestions
are welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Joyce Meints