[Histonet] Large Sections: Prostate

Shirley Powell POWELL_SA <@t> Mercer.edu
Thu Mar 16 09:19:46 CST 2006

Hi Chris,

Actually you can do this yourself, I have mounted the prostate gland on a 2
by 2 slide if not too large.  Make sure the knife clearance is adequate for
larger blocks on your microtome or it will not work.  You will have to have
a sliding microtome for the job.  The embedded block can be mounted on a
block of wood the size of the cassette to fit into your chuck.  The tissue
is processed pretty much like your regular specimens if cut thin enough.
The specimen can be wrapped in lens paper used to clean scopes by stapling
the edges.  After processing, use a slide box to embed in paraffin and cut
off the excess after solidified.  Mount it on your wooden block by heating
the back of the paraffin block and submerging into ice water.  The 2 by 2
slide may be purchased from a photography shop or some slide vendors can
supply these.  I have adapted one of the 30 slide racks for the 2 X 2
slides, had the guys in maintenance cut one side down and reassembled it,
but some vendors also sell that size rack.  If you need more details you may
contact me.

Shirley Powell

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Chris
Pomajzl
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 8:49 AM
To: HISTONET
Subject: [Histonet] Large Sections: Prostate

One of our pathologists is interested in getting a whole section of a
bisected prostate with subsequent staining. This would require very large
glass slides and a special microtome (I would imagine). This is for research
purposes.

Does anyone have this capability, or do you have information on where it can
be done?

Thanks in advance.

Chris Pomajzl, HTL (ASCP)

Histology Supervisor
Clinical Pathology Laboratories, Inc.
9200 Wall Street
Austin, Texas 78754
512.873.1660 (o)
512.873.5004 (f)
cpomajzl <@t> cpllabs.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This communication is intended only for the use of
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this communication.