[Histonet] Education requirements

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 14 19:37:33 CST 2006

It's called the CMP = certification maintenance program.

http://www.ascp.org/Certification/AssessmentProducts/CMP/?sm=BOR1

For those who took and passed their ASCP certification after Jan. 1, 2004,
their certification is good for only 3 years. After the 3 years, if they
want to retain their certification, they either have to take the exam all
over again, or they have to provide documentation of a minimum of 36 hours
of continuing education (CE) during the intervening 3 years. And they have
to keep doing this every three year.

For those who took and passed their ASCP certification before Dec. 31, 2003,
they are "grandfathered" in. They are certified for life, and do not have to
provide any proof of CE. If they want to, they can voluntarily participate
in the CMP, and provide the 36 hours of CE.

Go to the above web site, and find out exactly how many hours of CE are
needed in which topics, and what type of CE can count as how many hours.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Cindy DuBois
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:47 PM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Education requirements

I was curious whatever happened with the proposed continuing education
requirements to maintain ASCP HT certification?

  Was it implemented and if so what are the terms?

  We are having a harder time getting our lab director to pay for such
things as the NSH teleconferences and the society meetings.  But if this was
a requirement to maintain licensure, I am sure it would not be an issue.

  Cindy DuBois, HT ASCP
  Integrated Pathology