[Histonet] Renal biopsies

Martha Ward mward <@t> wfubmc.edu
Tue Mar 14 14:51:07 CST 2006

I want to get a feel for how others receiving renal biopsies handle
specimens from outside their institution.  Currently outside clients
divide the biopsy and submit it to us in 10% NBF, Zeus transport media
for IMF and 2.5% gluteraldehyde for EM.  One of our outside physicians
wants to perform the biopsy at a neighboring hospital (located about a
mile from us), have it packaged for transport to us by their pathology
department and sent to us on moistened gauze for us to assess and divide
appropriately.  (This arises from some situations where the material was
not divided optimally for the various procedures.) I have reservations
about this but I would like to hear how other institutions handle this.
Thanks in advance for your help with this.  You can respond to me
directly or to the whole group.

Martha Ward, MT (ASCP) QIHC
Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
Winston-Salem, NC 27157