[Histonet] F4/80 vs CD68

Elizabeth Chlipala liz <@t> premierlab.com
Tue Mar 14 13:38:09 CST 2006

Katy

I have used both F4/80 and CD68 antibodies from serotec for mouse
macrophages. F4/80 detects a protein that is expressed by murine
macrophages. This antibody binds to macrophages from different sites
including the peritoneal caviety, lung, spleen, and thymus, to blood
monocytes and to macrophages derived from bone marrow precursors in
culture.  This antigen is not expressed by lymphocytes or
polymorphonuclear cells.   This antibody will also stain kupfer cells in
the liver.  Mouse bone marrow should be approximately 30% positive.  If
you look at references regarding the presence of F4/80 you will find
that expression of the protein changes dependent upon macrophage
activation.  This antibody will not detect aveolar macrophages, but I
have seen it stain macrophages in the TB infected mouse lung.  I
consider it more of a activated macrophage marker and have used it for
both frozen and paraffin sections.

The rat anti-mouse CD68 from serotec is directed against macrosialin a
heavily glycosylated transmembrane protein that is specifically
expressed by tissue macrophages, langerhans cells and at low levels by
dendritic cells.  This antibody will detect aveolar macrophages.

As far as GT's comments I have not experienced that with F4/80
especially if he is looking at aortic root sections in mouse.  I have
used both CD68 and F4/80 to detect macrophages in mouse aortic root
samples.

We routinely use F4/80 to stain for macrophages in tumor xenografts.  I
have protocols and images of both.

GT I have some images of both F4/80 and CD68 in mouse aortic root
sections.

Liz

Manager
Premier Laboratory, LLC