[Histonet] Gram Stain kit and other stuff

Paul Bradbury histology.bc <@t> shaw.ca
Sun Mar 12 18:11:21 CST 2006

I have a fundamental question to ask here.

Why on earth would anyone want to automate Gram's stain? It is the
simplest, quickest stain in the Histotechnologist's repertoire. It is
also the cheapest stain to perform; less than $20.00 worth of reagents
will last for years and stain hundreds of slides. Why buy an overpriced
kit and then take up space on a machine that could be used for staining
procedures that truly benefit from automation.

One of last week's messages requested information about a supplier for
Carnoy's fixative. Any laboratory worker can make Carnoy; it's not
difficult! It's also a fraction of the price of the "commercial" Carnoy.
Every other solution used in the Histology laboratory can be prepared
for a fraction of the commercial cost.

Another thread last week discussed the rising costs of procedures,
billing, and the seemingly endless increases in health care
expenditures. Yet, we seem to be becomimg more and more reliant on
buying kits for every method and purchasing commercially-prepared
reagents for every application.

I am not advocating going back to doing everything manually, using
home-made reagents, but I think we have to be more aware of the inflated
costs involved in the use of automated techniques and commercially
prepared reagents. Many hospitals or universities offer rewards to
employees who suggest cost-saving ideas.  You see where I am going with
this?

Just my thoughts for what they are worth,

Paul Bradbury
Kamloops, BC, Canada