[Histonet] RE: cutting foams with microtome

Kellar, Eric C Eric.C.Kellar <@t> questdiagnostics.com
Fri Mar 10 13:32:23 CST 2006

Fawn,

If, you are speaking of the open celled, blue foam biopsy pads, then yes. I have had some success cutting them, but it's  tricky. I face the foam pad embedded cassette at the microtome. I then place a warm water soaked Kimwipe over the faced surface (while still in the chuck holder) for a few minutes. Remove the Kimwipe and spray the entire surface with Frostbite(1,1,1,2 - tetrafluoroethane). The colder the paraffin becomes, the better the foam pad seems to section. The use of low profile, disposable blades also aid in the sectioning.

Hope this helps!

Eric C. Kellar
Histology/Immunohistochemistry
Quest Diagnostics Inc. Miami

Dear histonetters,

I have someone using my lab who is cutting some paraffin embedded foam
infiltrated with cells.  She is having difficulty getting any sections
as the foam is falling apart.  Does anybody have a technique for this
type of material that they would like to share?

Fawn Jones

The contents of this message, together with any attachments, are intended only for the use of the person(s) to which they are addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. Further, any medical information herein is confidential and protected by law. It is unlawful for unauthorized persons to use, review, copy, disclose, or disseminate confidential medical information. If you are not the intended recipient, immediately advise the sender and delete this message and any attachments. Any distribution, or copying of this message, or any attachment, is prohibited.