[Histonet] entering multiple specimens

gillian.2.brown <@t> gsk.com gillian.2.brown <@t> gsk.com
Mon Mar 6 08:51:30 CST 2006

Tom,
they way you do it is a unique number per block (sample), the first part
identifies the 'block' to the patient, the second (1-n) denotes that there
are multiple samples. You can't however have one without the other hence
the uniqueness.   Presumably there is a spreadsheet/database that these
two part numbers go in (so you could say Block 1=xxxxxx,Block 2=xxxxxxx
such as other disciplines will have the cross references someplace other
than on the samples themselves (ie barcodes etc).
Continuous numbering sends me dyslexic when filing the blocks. Having a
number which is common means you can see where one 'case' stops and
starts.

Gill

Target Localisation
Target Discovery
ri- CEDD.
GlaxoSmithKline Medicines Research Centre,
Gunnelswood Road,
STEVENAGE,
Hertfordshire.
  SG1 2NY
tel.          +44 (0)1438 764119
fax.         +44 (0)1438 764782
email.    gillian.2.brown <@t> gsk.com
http://iwhfp.gsk.com/targetdiscovery/targetlocalisation/default.htm
http://ukdiscovery.gsk.com/histopathology/default.htm

"Tom McNemar" <TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
06-Mar-2006 13:44

"'histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu'" <histonet <@t> pathology.swmed.edu>
cc

Subject
[Histonet] entering multiple specimens

A question has come up regarding how we enter our specimens.  My lab
manager
is asking why we don't give each individual specimen a unique pathology
specimen number.  For example, if we receive a pair of tonsils in 2
separate
containers, she doesn't understand why we assign one surgical number and
list them as specimen 1 and 2 instead of giving them 2 unique surgical
numbers.  For something like a colonoscopy with 10 specimens that would be
10 unique surgical numbers and 10 reports.  I can't image anyone doing
this.... never heard of it being done but then I've only worked in 2 histo
labs.  I don't see it being done this way but I thought I'd ask.

So that's my question.  Does anybody do it this way?  It would seem to
really complicate things and a separate report would have to be issued for
each specimen number.  I'm sure our GI guys would love getting 14 or 15
separate repors for the same case.....

My manager doesn't really understand histo but she tries really hard.  She
always trys to apply the rules of general lab to us.  Her argument is that
micro, heme, chemistry, etc. all give separate specimen numbers.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Hospital
Newark, Ohio  43055