[Histonet] CLIA REGS RE: Grossing: Chime In

Charles.Embrey Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com
Fri Mar 3 15:35:37 CST 2006

Thanks to Lance Erickson the final answer is within reach.  The new
federal register CLIA interpretive guidelines appendix C subpart M
effective April 24, 2003 states in section 493.1461(e) "In the case if
gross examinations, the technical supervisor may delegate to individuals
qualified under 493.1498 (This is the section I quoted in the first
e-mail) the responsibility for the physical examination/description,
including color, weight, measurement, and other characteristics of the
tissue; or other mechanical procedures for which a specific written
protocol has been developed."

So under this interpretive guideline measuring cores and putting them
into a cassette constitutes High Complexity Testing.  You are right when
you said, "  "Grossing" by your comment below does not differentiate
between shave biopsy and a prostatectomy."  That is because in the eyes
of CLIA there is no difference.

Charles Embrey PA(ASCP)