[Histonet] High Profile Micrtome Blades

Heather.A.Harper <@t> pcola.med.navy.mil Heather.A.Harper <@t> pcola.med.navy.mil
Tue Jun 20 13:15:08 CDT 2006

  I want to thank everybody who sent me their samples and left over high
profile blades. Now I have another dilemma. I'm having so much fun trying
out new blades. I want to know if anybody can help me trouble shoot this
problem in cutting. When I tried the Duraedge and Sturkey blades, I noticed,
one section would be thick, the next was thin. With the AccuEdge, it cut
nice except the ribbons were wrinkled and I had to stretched them out on the
water bath. It's almost as though the blade is too thick or I need something
adjusted on the knife holder. I cut at 5 degree angle and always have.
Anybody have any ideas on what to do here. I am not getting those nice
smooth wrinkle free ribbons. I'm concluding it's the blade holder needs
adjusting or maybe the angle. Any input would be great. Thanks again
everybody.

P.S. This is a fairly new microtome. It's less than a year old.

Heather A. Harper

Histology Supervisor

Naval Hospital

Pensacola, FL